Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Favorite Programming Tools

As a programmer I am using almost every day a number of tools that help me achieve various programming tasks. I would like to share them here with the people interested and of course any feedback about other tools is greatly appreciated.

I use a number of utilities like:
  • Notepad++  - this is a very popular open source text editor for fast editing and file comparison, I find it extremely useful and I use it almost every day. It comes with a number of pluggable components and it has a good community.
    More information at: Wikipedia Notepad++.
  • Putty - I am using this utility mainly for remote access. PuTTY is a free and open source terminal emulator application which can act as a client for the SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw TCP computing protocols and as a serial console client.This is the place were one can find this tool: Download Putty. Here are some tips on setting up your Putty options. And here is a tool to wrap multiple Putty sessions in tabs: TTY Plus. 
  • WinSCP (Windows Secure CoPy) is a free and open source SFTP, SCP, and FTP client for Microsoft Windows. Its main function is secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers basic file manager and file synchronization functionality. For secure transfers, it uses Secure Shell (SSH) and supports the SCP protocol in addition to SFTP. This is the place to find this utility: Download WinSCP
  • VirtualBox (Oracle VM VirtualBox) is an x86 virtualization software package. I use this tool to create quick development testing environments. To obtain VirtualBox visit the VirtualBox website's download page.
  • soapUI - is an open source web service testing tool for service-oriented architectures (SOA). I use this tool for service testing during development. This tool can be found at: Download soapUI
  • SFK (Swiss File Knife - Windows cmd utility) - is a command line tool for daily tasks. Find and extract text in binary files, list dir tree sizes, filter and replace text, run an instant ftp or http server for easy file transfer, find duplicate files, join many text files into one, create and verify md5 checksum lists, run a command on all files, detab text, create hexdumps from files, trace contents of a tcp connection, find dependencies between files, print colored text to terminal, locate commands in the path, print last lines of a file, convert CR/LF, hex to binary, binary to source code, split and join large files, list the contents of all .zip, .jar, .tar, .gz, and .bz2 files. One can download this utility at: Download SFK
  • QuickPHP - Useful utility for quick PHP UI mockups. It is very easy to install and configure. One can download it from here: Download QuickPHP.
  • GIT - this is my favorite distributed revision control system; fast, simple to use and install.
  • Eclipse - free development environment. I use this application for complex projects.
  • JIRA - this is a great issue tracking system. 
  • Confluence - great collaboration and wiki software. I use this application for all purpose documentation.
  • TeamViewer - software used for remote control, desktop sharing, online meetings, web conferencing and file transfer between computers. This is a great tool. I use this tool for desktop sharing when I need to help members of my team.
  • Dropbox - is a file hosting service that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, and client software. This is a great tool, it is free for 2GB storage and I use it as a virtual USB. I move files between many computers and systems that I use.
I am going to improve this list as I come over other tools that I use every day and I find very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment